Directions

First time here? Welcome! Click on the 'Overview' page link to the right!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Separation

In this modern society it is so easy to isolate from others, to see other people as either obstacles or vehicles. It is so easy to fall into a pattern of thinking in which the whole world revolves around you. Our society actively encourages us to build ourselves up, to grab what we want. Even our modern vacations have become shopping sprees, to get more stuff. And yet, even with a bunch of new stuff, are we fulfilled?

Maybe occasionally as we drive out of a shopping center we will see some scruffy looking panhandler and either be annoyed and look the other way, or...? Is there a slight feeling inside?

Is there a regret for the panhandler's condition, or a greater regret from the sudden realization that I have lost much of my capacity for compassion? Where did it go? Does this mean that I am a 'bad' person?

How can I get back to having a healthy sense of compassion for my fellow man?

If I don't 'feel' it, how am I supposed to do what Jesus said?
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted [Jesus], saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
[Jesus] said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. (Luke 10:25-28)

Here is an interesting paradox. Have you ever noticed how someone who looks for fulfillment in things outside himself is considered self-centered, yet someone who instead embarks on some deep internal soul searching finds contentment with the outer world? Which one is more likely to show love, charity, or compassion to a stranger?

Have you ever noticed baby birds in a nest, how they cry for their mother to feed them? Isn't that a good illustration of someone who looks for their happiness in external things? You take care of me! Feed me! I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment