Directions

First time here? Welcome! Click on the 'Overview' page link to the right!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Search for Truth

My faith is the very thing that both allows and drives me to 'doubt' (investigate). There is nothing to fear.

I want what is said here in this 'blog' to benefit someone. Obviously, I am directing this primarily to Americans of the Christian faith, because that is where I come from. That is what I know the most about, and these are the people I care about the most.

For many in the U.S., church is what they do to fit in. It's what they do to meet business clients or get dates or a future spouse. Or they do church to keep their spouse or family happy. A lot of effort is put into their outfit and washing the car, because image is everything. This blog is not really for them, unless they become tired of the falsehood.

To become tired of the falsehood is to desire the truth, above all else.

There is a saying that goes, 'every man has his price' but I disagree. Jesus could not be bought. That's who I want to follow, and be like. So similarly, I do not care about appearances, power, money, or prestige. What I will seek, no matter where it take me, is the truth.

This is a scary path. But in honestly seeking the truth, can I expect God to lie to me? No, of course not.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? (Matthew 7)


I said before that my faith is the very thing that both allows and drives me to 'doubt' (investigate). There is nothing to fear. But the truth of the matter is-- I do have fear.

I read a fair amount. And all my adult life I have been obsessed with discovering whatever the truth may be. I don't shy away from any philosophies or questions. But I have held off from reading some books.

Tonight, I started reading Daniel Dennett's 'Breaking the Spell'. Although initially I felt a huge amount of fear (because the book purports to examine the very mechanism of faith) I am finding that I agree with the author. These things DO need to be examined, for many reasons.

Accepting Jesus' challenge of, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" is an exciting journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment